Highfall's About Us page

About Us

A History of Highfalls Elementary School                       

Old school house

Highfalls Elementary School is a source of unending pride and achievement to those of us who know it. It is a rural school, located on a 22-acre tract of land on the Deep River. Its history began in the late 1800's with a one-room schoolhouse, now a private home, and extends to today's multi-complex structure.

The old one-room schoolhouse served its purpose well; it accommodated 35 children. Today our school serves approximately 260 students. As the population increased, a five-room, two story frame building containing an auditorium was built on the present site. By 1939, population demanded an even bigger and better school - a new brick structure was built including a large auditorium and thirteen classrooms. A gymnasium was added in 1950 and a cafeteria was completed in 1954. Five years later a primary building was constructed.

In 1965 our main building was destroyed by fire, and in 1967 our present school plan was completed. Since then the Powers Auditorium/Multipurpose Room was completed in 1985.

In 2010 we opened a new middle school wing with six classrooms, a new art room, laptop lab, science lab, and CTE lab. A new building containing two kindergarten classrooms was also completed at this time.
  • Highfalls Elementary
  • 1220 NC 22 Hwy, Bennett, NC 27208
  • 910-464-3600
  • 910-464-5404
Website by SchoolMessenger Presence. © 2019 Intrado Corporation. All rights reserved.